Home About Us Park Events & News Join Us Nature in the Park Photo Competition Gallery

The Park History

History of Cambuslang Park

Cambuslang Park dates back to 1913 and in 2013 celebrated its 100th year birthday! We would welcome copies of any memorabilia you may have of the opening. A booklet to commemorate the opening was donated to us recently.

If you walk through the park you will come across various items that show the date of the park ranging from the dovecote to the war monument to soldiers who lost their lives in the first world war.The actual statue is modelled on the first soldier killed.The bandstand area has been recognised for it’s uniqueness and the woodland area is home to some exciting and rare species not to mention the natural amphitheatre that is in the park grounds and the preaching braes.


Girl’s Face

In the park there is a carving of a girl’s face. The story is that the girl fell and was killed. Her father was so bereft that he carved her image in the rock. If you have any information, photographs of the face or stories please get in touch with us and we will add it to the page.

May 2009 - Some information has come to us regarding the carving. The story was told that the girl was playing tennis and that she went to retrieve the ball, fell over and was killed. The carving was apparently quite new in 1930.

Borgie Glen

The Borgie Glen is a tree-lined ravine containing a network of pathways.

Drinking from the Borgie Well for some was considered a dangerous thing to do since it was reputed to bestow rather than cure madness. A drink from the Borgie, A bite of the weed Sets a’ the Cams’lang fouk, Wrang in the Heid


The Borgie Well stone reads:

The Borgie Well here, Ran Many a Year, Wells wane away Brief too—man’s stay Our race alone abides As burns purl on With mirth or moan Old ocean with its tides Pace longest day Join hands and say (Here where once flowed the well) “We hold the grip, Friends don’t let slip The Bonnie Borgie Dell” Come guard this dell and guard this stone Because, because both are your own. 1879

The Work / Wark

“The Cambuslang Work or ‘Wark’ in the Scots language, (February to November 1742) was a period of extraordinary religious activity, in Cambuslang, Scotland. The event peaked in August 1742 when a crowd of some 30,000 gathered in the ‘preaching braes’ – a natural amphitheatre next to the Kirk at Cambuslang – to hear the great preacher George Whitefield call them to repentance and conversion to Christ. It was intimately connected with the similar remarkable revivalist events taking place throughout Great Britain and it’s American Colonies in New England, where it is known as The First Great Awakening.”

“The Minister of Cambuslang was an unlikely person to have organized this remarkable event. He was Mr William McCullogh. Early on in his career as a Minister he had confessed to a friend that he envied those who had felt called or converted to Christ. To him these feelings were completely alien. In addition although he was an extremely learned and studious person and conscientious pastor to his congregation, he was no great preacher.”

Reference: Above article courtsey of Wikipedia


Reverend William McCullough

“The McCullough Manuscripts are considered by historians to be Scotland’s first oral history project according to Beebe. Compiled by Reverend William McCullouch, the 1,300 page, two volume text is a collection of first-person conversion narratives given in 1741-42 by 108 subjects of the Scottish ‘School of Awakening.’ The narratives provide a unique perspective from which to understand the spirituality of laity and clergy in 18th century Scotland. Article courtsey of Whitworth University Press Release – Beebe 2006 Graves Award.

These Volumes of Manuscripts are held for reference in Cambuslang Library.

volumes are being held for reference in Cambuslang Library. We had a rose

planting in the park this morning for volunteers week,

volumes are being held for reference in Cambuslang Library.

volumes are being held for reference in Cambuslang Library.

          



A Cairn was erected to commemorate the above event the plaque reads:

Preaching Braes Site of ‘Cambuslang Wark’ the great religious revival of 1742

In this place the Methodist evangelist, George Whitefield led congregations of many

thousands in prayer and worship Friends of Cambuslang Park March 2008


The photo above shows one of eighteen oak trees planted on Saturday 27th November 1937 to commemorate the Coronation of King George VI. Each school, for which a young oak was planted was represented by two pupils, a boy and a girl. The schools were: Eastfield Public school, West Coats H.G. School, Cambuslang Public school, St Brides R.C school, Gateside Public school, Hallside Public school, Newton Public school, St Charles R.C school, Dalton Special school. Above right how the oak trees are today in the park.

Tree Planting Ceremony 1937

Copyright © Friends of Cambuslang Park. All rights reserved - Disclaimer

Friends of Cambuslang Park

Cairns Road

Cambuslang

G72 8PZ

Friends of Cambuslang Park is a registered Scottish Charity No: SC04279

Contact: Secertary, Fiona Murray

secertary@cambuslangpark.co.uk

Design by

d

p